Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 24, 2015

Mafia Information I Stumbled Upon.

After reading one of my favorite Western books by Ralph Compton, I was scanning the rest of the information in the book.

What I found was very interesting since the statement explained some of the characters in the book.

I am going to quote what it says:

Historical Note

New Orleans was the first home of the Sicilian Mafia and its roots went all the way back to the War Between the States.  By  1881, the Provenzano Family, made wealthy and powerful by its control of the docks, pretty much ran the entire New orleans underworld. (In "The Convict Trail" I slightly changed the spelling of the clan name to protect the guilty.)

Around 1886, the Provenzanos lost control of the docks to the powerful Matranga Family and by 1891 had ceased to be a major influence on organized crime in the Crescent City.

*****
His grammar line for line.

 Ralph Compton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously written by Joseph A West

Very few of Ralph's books have I missed because of the informational way of his writing in informing the reader of what life was like in these earlier times.

He wrote The Immortal Cowboy and it really  describes it all.

He was a very large 6'6 man and traveled  lots, to learn as much as he could about the west.


I have also read Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour as other authors of early west development.

No comments:

Post a Comment